Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Moist layers of chocolate cake sandwich a sweet and creamy filling. The yummy treats are handy to keep in the freezer for lunches and after school snacks. There always seems to be a problem with these dissappearing as soon as I make these.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake and pudding mixes, oil, water and eggs, mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 13 in x 9 in x 2 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla; beat in milk mixture until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Split cake into two horizontal layers. Spread filling over the bottom layer; cover with top layer. Cut into serving size pieces.
- Freeze in an air tight container for up to 1 month. Remove from the freezer 1 hour before serving.
I found this recipe in one of my Taste of Home magazine and was glad to see it on recipezaar...I poured a chocolate glaze over the cake and then cut into squares...took to a superbowl party and it was a huge hit...like mini ho ho cakes....