Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 5 ounces best-quality dark chocolate
- 7 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave oven or in a bowl over hot water, then leave to cool slightly.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar using an electric mixer until the mixture is pale. Add the melted chocolate, then the cream, beating constantly.
- Pour the mixture into individual gratin dishes or ramekins and bake for about 30 minutes. Keep a close eye on them -- the creamy mixture should be firm at the edges but not yet set in the middle.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven and leave to cool before placing them in a refrigerator for several hours.
- Just before serving, set the oven to broil, sprinkle the cream-filled ramekins with brown sugar, caramelize them under the broiler and then return them to a cool place.