4 hrs 6 mins
2 hrs 6 mins
Alan Kirk's Note:
An impressive cake,fit for any occasion.I like to serve it as a dessert with single cream.Quite a bit of work,but the cake and meringue can be made well in advance and stored in airtight containers. When you take the cake out of the oven,don't panic,it holds it's shape perfecty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces chocolate (Bournville is best)
- 4 eggs
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 2 ounces plain flour
- 1 1/4 ounces cocoa powder
- 1Grease an 8" loose form cake tin,line the base & lightly flour.
- 2To make the cake,melt the chocolate in a bowl over hot water.
- 3In a separate bowl,whisk the eggs and sugar until light and foamy and the whisk leaves a trail across the mixture(approx.5mins using an electric whisk).Fold the melted chocolate into this using a metal spoon.Sieve the flour and cocoa together and fold gently into the egg and choc. mixture.Pour this into the cake tin.Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven(350degF),for 25-30 mins,until it is springy to the touch.Cool the cake in the tin for 2-3mins,then turn it on to a wire rack to cool.Reduce the oven temperature to 225degF.
- 4Draw two circles,8"diameter,on non-stick baking paper.Place these on a baking sheet.
- 5Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry.Add half the sugar and continue whisking until the meringue stands in soft peaks.Sieve the cocoa and mix with the remaining sugar and ground hazelnuts,and fold this gently into the egg white.Fill in the marked circles with meringue.Bake in the centre of the oven for 1.3/4Hrs.Once cool,peel off the baking sheet.
- 6Slice the cooled cake into 2 layers.
- 7To make the icing,break the chocolate into pieces and melt in a bowl with the water over simmering water.Stir until smooth.Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.Whisk the cream until it just stands in soft peaks.Gradually mix in the melted choc. and water.
- 8Place a meringue on a cake stand and cover with some cream.Place a layer of cake on top and cover with cream.Repeat with the other layers of cake and meringue.
- 9Spread the remaining cream over the top and sides of the torte and swirl using a pallette knife.Arrange chocolate curls on top and dust lightly with icing sugar.
- 10Cut into wedges and serve with cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cream Torte
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.0
- Calories from Fat 609
- Total Fat 67.7 g
- Saturated Fat 36.1 g
- Cholesterol 251.9 mg
- Sodium 118.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 44.1 g
- Protein 18.3 g