Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this chocolatey variation of the Victoria Sponge cake for my Boyfriend and it was eaten between the two of us within 2 days. We're fatties, and we're happies ^.^
- Preheat your oven to 180c / 350F and prepare 2 x 18cm (7") cake tins.
- Beat together the sugar and butter until evenly creamed. Slowly add pre-beaten eggs and a little of the flour while still beating.
- Sift in the cocoa powder and remaining flour, folding until all ingrediants are combined. Pour mix into the prepared cake tins and bake for approx 30 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Break up the milk chocolate into a microwaveble bown and heat until it is melted (this depends on your microwave, you can alternately melt the chocolate on the stove).Whip the cream until it is stiff and peaks but can still be stirred easily. Mix the melted chocolate into the cream and whip to your prefered thickness.
- Removed the sponges from the oven once well risen and firm to the touch. You should be able to insert a slim knife and remove it clean. Allow tins to cool for 5 minutes and them leave sponges to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Spread the chocolate cream on one of the sponges and sandwich with the other, thinly spread the remaining cream on top and decorate as you please. Enjoy!