Recipe by -Patrish
Did you love SuzyQ's when you were little but find them lacking somehow now that you're all grown up? Well, next time you get a craving, try this cake instead! This will satisfy you if you've lost that lovin' feelin' for SuzyQ's! Source: Epicurious Forum.
Top Review by mommybusch
I made this today for Father's Day and my husband's birthday. What a pretty presentation! I had no whipping cream on hand, and we like fillings a little less sweet, so I combined 8 oz of cream cheese with a 16 oz tub of Cool Whip, 3 Tbs of sugar, and 1 Tbs of vanilla. It was yummy! I left out the nuts at my husband's request, but besides the change in filling, followed the recipe to a T. Very simple actually and good!
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, about
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 -5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 5 ounces semisweet baking chocolate
- chopped pistachio nut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan, then line with waxed paper, extending paper at short ends.
- Grease paper; set aside.
- Stir together cocoa and flour until well blended; set aside.
- In large bowl of mixer beat eggs at high speed until very light, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually beat in confectioners sugar and beat until very fluffy and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
- Fold cocoa mixture and vanilla into egg mixture until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated 350-degree oven 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack 5 minutes.
- Loosen edges of cake with thin-bladed spatula.
- Sprinkle clean dish towel generously with granulated sugar and invert cake onto towel.
- Peel off paper.
- Starting at short end, roll up cake and towel as for jelly roll.
- Cool on rack.
- Spread cake with cream filling.
- Reroll without towel.
- Place on platter and frost with Thin Chocolate Glaze.
- Chill several hours or overnight.
- Garnish with dollops of whipped cream or pistachios.
- CREAM FILLING: Beat 1 cup whipping cream and a few tbsp of granulated or confectioners sugar until soft peaks form, adding about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp vanilla extract if you like.
- THIN CHOCOLATE GLAZE: Melt 5 squares (5 oz) semisweet chocolate in pan, stir in 1/3 cup hot water.
- Spread thinly over roll.