Perfect Pixie's Note:
The best cream puffs bake into perfect hollow balls ideal for filling with custard or whipped cream. The dough should be the consistency of thick mayonnaise. If it is too thick, add another egg yolk to achieve the correct consistency. If you like, substitute pastry cream for the chocolate cream, and/or drizzle chocolate sauce over the puffs just before serving
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Pastry Puffs
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 5 eggs
For the Chocolate Cream or Pastry Cream
- 1Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Butter and flour a large baking sheet.
- 3FOR THE PASTRY PUFFS:.
- 4In a saucepan, combine the water, butter, salt and the 1/2 teaspoon sugar and bring to a boil.
- 5As soon as it boils, remove the pan from the heat and add the flour all at once.
- 6Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, briskly beat in the flour.
- 7Place the saucepan over high heat and continue beating briskly for 2 minutes.
- 8Remove from the heat again and scrape the contents of the pan into a large bowl.
- 9Add 4 of the eggs, one at a time, beating vigorously after each addition until smooth.
- 10Place the dough in a pastry (piping) bag with a 1/2-inch plain tip.
- 11Pipe mounds about 2 inches in diameter and 3 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet.
- 12You should have 16-20 mounds in all.
- 13In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg until well blended.
- 14Using a pastry brush, lightly brush each mound with the egg.
- 15Bake until the puffs are golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- 16Transfer the puffs to a rack and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- 17When the puffs are cool, slice off the top one-third of each puff.
- 18Set the bottoms and tops aside.
- 19FOR THE CHOCOLATE CREAM:.
- 20Place the chocolate in the top pan of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over (not touching) barely simmering water in a pan.
- 21Stir just until the chocolate melts.
- 22then remove from the heat.
- 23Pour the cream into a bowl.
- 24Using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat until soft peaks form.
- 25Add the 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form, about 20 seconds.
- 26Pour all of the melted chocolate into the whipped cream as quickly as possible, and continue to mix on high speed until evenly combined, about 1 minute.
- 27Place the chocolate cream in a clean pastry (piping) bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip.
- 28Pipe the cream into the bottoms of the cooled puffs so a little bit of the cream is exposed between the crusts.
- 29Replace the tops on the filled bottoms and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cream Puffs
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1255.4
- Calories from Fat 1018
- Total Fat 113.1 g
- Saturated Fat 68.3 g
- Cholesterol 465.5 mg
- Sodium 303.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.1 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 25.5 g