Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A wonderful, soft chocolate cake! Found the recipe on the net when looking for cake recipes using whipped cream as an ingredient. Unlike many other chocolate cakes, this one is definitely at its best at room temperature, so take it out of the fridge some time before serving. Dust the cake generously with powdered sugar and serve as-is, or with strawberries. Yummy!
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F).
- Grease an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan and dust with powdered sugar, shaking off excess.
- Whip the cream until stiff; beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together the remaining ingredients and add to the cream mixture.
- Stir to combine (the batter is quite stiff and sticky).
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the cake just begins to pull from the edges of the pan.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out on rack.
- The cake will keep in the fridge for up to a week (if you can resist eating it, that is!) wrapped air-tightly in plastic wrap and foil.
This was really good and really simple to make. We really enjoyed the texture of this cake, it was fantastic served with some fresh strawberries and cream. Thanks!
This was pretty good - chocolate: can't be bad :) I baked it for 45 minutes and though it hadn't pulled away from the sides at all, it was plenty done when I cut into it the next day. I made it for church fellowship time (coffee & snacks) and it was pretty much devoured - one slice left! Thanks for posting :)
The flavor and ease of this cake make it a five star recipe to me! It was a little dry, but I had a hard time getting it to cook evenly, so it was probably user error! I added some fresh strawberries and whipped cream to it and it was delicious! Thanks!