A little more complicated than my usual chocolate pie but so good! Originally found in Woman's Day magazine many years ago.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups vanilla wafers, finely crushed (abt 34 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1Heat oven to 350ºF.
- 2Have a 9 inch pie plate ready.
- 3Crust: Mix cookie crumbs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- 4Stir in melted butter until crumbs are evenly coated.
- 5Press evenly over bottom and up sides of pie plate.
- 6Bake 8 minutes or until set.
- 7Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 8Filling: Mix sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in a medium size saucepan.
- 9Whisk in 1 cup of the milk until smooth.
- 10(Make sure whisk reaches inside bottom edges of saucepan.) Whisk in remaining 2 cups milk.
- 11Bring to a gentle boil and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 9-10 minutes until thick.
- 12Remove from heat.
- 13Whisk egg yolks in a medium size bowl.
- 14Whisking constantly, gradually add about 2 cups hot-milk mixture to yolks.
- 15Pour this back into saucepan and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly, until slightly thicker.
- 16Remove from heat.
- 17Add chocolate, butter and vanilla and stir until chocolate and butter melt.
- 18Pour into a bowl.
- 19Place plastic wrap or waxed paper directly on surface to prevent skin from forming.
- 20Let cool about 30 minutes.
- 21Stir filling, then pour into prepared crust.
- 22Cover as before and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- 23Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle by stirring it through a strainer.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cream Pie With Cookie Crumb Crust
Serving Size: 1 (1275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3018.5
- Calories from Fat 1715
- Total Fat 190.6 g
- Saturated Fat 116.1 g
- Cholesterol 913.1 mg
- Sodium 2227.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 322.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.3 g
- Sugars 227.7 g
- Protein 48.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: