Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A little more complicated than my usual chocolate pie but so good! Originally found in Woman's Day magazine many years ago.
- 1 1⁄3 cups vanilla wafers, finely crushed (abt 34 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Have a 9 inch pie plate ready.
- Crust: Mix cookie crumbs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- Stir in melted butter until crumbs are evenly coated.
- Press evenly over bottom and up sides of pie plate.
- Bake 8 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Filling: Mix sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in a medium size saucepan.
- Whisk in 1 cup of the milk until smooth.
- (Make sure whisk reaches inside bottom edges of saucepan.) Whisk in remaining 2 cups milk.
- Bring to a gentle boil and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 9-10 minutes until thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks in a medium size bowl.
- Whisking constantly, gradually add about 2 cups hot-milk mixture to yolks.
- Pour this back into saucepan and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly, until slightly thicker.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate, butter and vanilla and stir until chocolate and butter melt.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Place plastic wrap or waxed paper directly on surface to prevent skin from forming.
- Let cool about 30 minutes.
- Stir filling, then pour into prepared crust.
- Cover as before and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle by stirring it through a strainer.
Am not giving stars at this point as I only used the recipe for the crust. I used animal crackers instead of wafers and next time will double to get all the way up the sides of the pie plate.