This chocolate cream pie is rich and slightly tangy. The melted chocolate folded into the meringue is a nice accent to the creamy and rich chocolate filling. A nice summer time dessert. (Prep time includes chill time)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening, chilled and cut into pieces
- 2 -3 tablespoons ice water
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg whites (or 3 large)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 -6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and at room temperature
- For crust: Combine flour and salt in food processor.
- Add chilled shortening and pulse until grainy.
- With machine running, drizzle in ice water until dough masses together.
- Gather dough into ball, flatten between two pieces of wax paper, and refrigerate one hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling by beating egg yolks in a saucepan.
- Stir in sugar, salt, cornstarch, and buttermilk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and boils.
- Remove from heat; stir in 3 oz melted chocolate.
- Add butter and vanilla, stirring until butter melts.
- Place wax paper over filling and refrigerate until cold.
- Once dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350°F and roll out into 12-inch circle on floured surface.
- Place in 9-inch pie pan and trim edges.
- Lightly line crust with foil and fill with rice or beans.
- Bake 10 minutes; remove foil and beans; return to oven and bake another 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- Once crust is cool, evenly spread chilled filling into crust.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For meringue, beat egg whites, tartar, and salt until foamy; add sugar a tablespoons.
- at a time and continue to beat until stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold in 1 oz melted chocolate, careful not to deflate egg whites.
- Mound on top of filling, sealing edges of crust.
- Bake 5-10 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned.
- Chill thoroughly before serving cold.