1/1 Photo of Chocolate Cream Pie With Chocolate Meringue
2 hrs 30 mins
Cooking to Perfection's Note:
This chocolate cream pie is rich and slightly tangy. The melted chocolate folded into the meringue is a nice accent to the creamy and rich chocolate filling. A nice summer time dessert. (Prep time includes chill time)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening, chilled and cut into pieces
- 2 -3 tablespoons ice water
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1For crust: Combine flour and salt in food processor.
- 2Add chilled shortening and pulse until grainy.
- 3With machine running, drizzle in ice water until dough masses together.
- 4Gather dough into ball, flatten between two pieces of wax paper, and refrigerate one hour.
- 5Meanwhile, prepare filling by beating egg yolks in a saucepan.
- 6Stir in sugar, salt, cornstarch, and buttermilk.
- 7Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and boils.
- 8Remove from heat; stir in 3 oz melted chocolate.
- 9Add butter and vanilla, stirring until butter melts.
- 10Place wax paper over filling and refrigerate until cold.
- 11Once dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350°F and roll out into 12-inch circle on floured surface.
- 12Place in 9-inch pie pan and trim edges.
- 13Lightly line crust with foil and fill with rice or beans.
- 14Bake 10 minutes; remove foil and beans; return to oven and bake another 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.
- 15Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- 16Once crust is cool, evenly spread chilled filling into crust.
- 17Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 18For meringue, beat egg whites, tartar, and salt until foamy; add sugar a tablespoons.
- 19at a time and continue to beat until stiff but not dry.
- 20Gently fold in 1 oz melted chocolate, careful not to deflate egg whites.
- 21Mound on top of filling, sealing edges of crust.
- 22Bake 5-10 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned.
- 23Chill thoroughly before serving cold.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cream Pie With Chocolate Meringue
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.4
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 118.3 mg
- Sodium 520.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 39.9 g
- Protein 11.0 g