Dixie from Kansas's Note:
This a wonderful pie. I is chocolaty but not super sweet. I do alter this recipe a bit when I make it and I add a tablespoon of dark cocoa but it may be too much chocolate for some people. This pie makes me stop everything and just enjoy the bite whenever I eat it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (from about 26 cookies such as Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, fine-quality not unsweetened, melted
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F for baking crust.
- 2Stir together crumbs, butter, and sugar and press on bottom and up side of a 9-inch pie plate (1-quart capacity). Bake until crisp, about 15 minutes, and cool on a rack.
- 3Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and yolks in a 3-quart heavy saucepan until combined well,.
- 4add milk in a stream, whisking.
- 5Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking, then reduce heat and simmer, whisking, 1 minute (filling will be thick).
- 6orce filling through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then whisk in chocolates, butter, and vanilla. Cover surface of filling with a buttered round of wax paper and cool completely, about 2 hours.
- 7poon filling into crust and chill pie, loosely covered, at least 6 hours.
- 8For whipped cream.
- 9Just before serving, beat cream with sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks, then spoon on top of pie.
- 10Pie (without topping) can be chilled up to 1 day.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cream Pie from Gourmet.com
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.1
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 159.0 mg
- Sodium 329.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 34.8 g
- Protein 6.9 g