Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This a wonderful pie. I is chocolaty but not super sweet. I do alter this recipe a bit when I make it and I add a tablespoon of dark cocoa but it may be too much chocolate for some people. This pie makes me stop everything and just enjoy the bite whenever I eat it.
- 1 1⁄3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (from about 26 cookies such as Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, fine-quality not unsweetened, melted
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F for baking crust.
- Stir together crumbs, butter, and sugar and press on bottom and up side of a 9-inch pie plate (1-quart capacity). Bake until crisp, about 15 minutes, and cool on a rack.
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and yolks in a 3-quart heavy saucepan until combined well,.
- add milk in a stream, whisking.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking, then reduce heat and simmer, whisking, 1 minute (filling will be thick).
- orce filling through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then whisk in chocolates, butter, and vanilla. Cover surface of filling with a buttered round of wax paper and cool completely, about 2 hours.
- poon filling into crust and chill pie, loosely covered, at least 6 hours.
- For whipped cream.
- Just before serving, beat cream with sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks, then spoon on top of pie.
- Pie (without topping) can be chilled up to 1 day.