Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A rich chocolate-custard is the filling in this delicious pie that's perfect for summer.
- 2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 9 ounces best-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into bits and softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup well-chilled whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- grated bittersweet chocolate (to garnish)
- Make crust: Preheat oven to 350°F In a bowl stir together crumbs, butter and sugar and press on bottom and up side of a 10 inch pie plate.
- Bake crust in middle of oven until crisp, 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Make filling: In a metal bowl set over barely simmering water melt chocolate, stirring, until smooth and remove bowl from heat.
- In a saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg yolks until combined well and add milk in a stream, whisking.
- Bring milk mixture to a boil over moderate heat, whisking, and simmer, whisking, until thick, about 1 minute.
- Force custard through a fine sieve into a bowl and whisk in melted chocolate, butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming and cool completely.
- Pour filling into crust and chill pie, covered, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- In a bowl, beat cream to soft peaks.
- Beat in sugar and continue beating cream to stiff peaks.
- Spoon whipped cream decoratively onto pie and sprinkle with grated chocolate.