Prep 8 hrs
Cook 17 mins
This is Kalidasa's Kicked Up Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe, courtesy of Kalidasa Brown and showcased on an Emeril Live Episode entitled Emeril's Pie Contest. Originally posted here by Mean Chef.
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, blind baked (see Classic Pie Crust Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon ground coffee, finely ground
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup natural cocoa powder
- 2 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- extra cocoa powder, for sprinkling
- Put the half-and-half in a saucepan with the coffee and star anise.
- Heat to scalding, remove from heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes to infuse the flavors.
- Strain mixture into clean saucepan.
- Add 2 cups heavy cream and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add egg yolks and combine with sugar mixture (a fork does a good job) until well blended (the sugar mixture is completely yellow).
- Loosely mix in cocoa powder.
- Add mixture to infused half-and-half mixture and heat slowly stirring continuously.
- When mixture is hot and just starting to thicken add bittersweet chocolate.
- Continue heating until thick.
- Stir constantly to prevent scortching.
- Mix in vanilla, butter, and Grand Marnier.
- Pour directly into prepared pie shell (strain to remove lumps if desired).
- Cover with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator overnight.
- Whip cream until almost stiff, then whip in chocolate until stiff.
- Cover pie with whipped cream.
- Lightly sprinkle the top with cocoa powder.