This is from the cover of the February issue of Martha Stewart Living. It looks really good. I great Valentines Day treat for your honey.
- Place the chocolate wafers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter and stir until well combined.
- Press into the bottom and lower half of the sides of an 8" springform pan.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Pour the milk in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the milk and let it soften for 5 minutes.
- Place the cream and 2 Tbsp of sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the gelatin mixture, stir to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and vanilla, cover and let stand for 3 minutes.
- Stir until combined well.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into the prepared cookie crust.
- Return filled crust to refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
- Place the egg whites and remaining 3/4 cup of sugar in the heat proof bowl of an electric mixer and place over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Stir constantly until the egg whites are warm to the touch and the sugar is completely dissolved, about three minutes.
- attach the bowl to the mixer and use the whisk attachment to beat the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Raise speed to high and beat until stiff and glossy but not dry, about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Remove pie from refrigerator.
- Using a rubber spatula, drop meringue on top, lifting to create tall peaks.
- Use a kitchen blowtorch to brown the top of the meringue peaks or place under a broiler, watching carefully as it will brown quickly.
- Chill the pie in the refrigerator and serve cold.
- This pie will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days.