Prep 35 mins
Cook 19 mins
- 1 pie shell, pre-baked
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt in medium saucepan; stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils; remove from heat.
- Stir half of the mixture into beaten egg yolks; return egg mixture to saucepan.
- Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until mixture boils; boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour into pre-baked pie shell.
- MERINGUE TOPPING:
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this on warm pie filling, carefully sealing to the edges of crust.
- Bake 5 to 8 minutes or just until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool to room temperature; chill for several hours.
I didn't put the Meringue on top of the pie because we don't like it, but make it as a Chocolate Cream Pie... We LOVED this pie! Thick and rich chocolate. Perfect with some Cool Whip on top... Yum!
My only problem with this recipe is that I now have to try really hard to not be a little snot when someone else makes a chocolate pie; I want to tell them their pie is alright but my new recipe is so much better. WOW!! 10 stars! I like pie, but I love this one, and it is now the pie I have to make for every event because it's just too good to pass up an opportunity to eat it. So rich and thick. Had no trouble getting it to set up. Very easy to make if you're handy with a whisk. I was careful to add the mixture to my yolks very gradually. And keeping my whites refrigerated seemed to help the meringue set up better. I've made it with and without crust and love it both ways.
The filling is good but my mirange didn't set up. I followed the instructions.