Prep 35 mins
Cook 19 mins
Make and share this Chocolate Cream Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 pie shell, pre-baked
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt in medium saucepan; stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils; remove from heat.
- Stir half of the mixture into beaten egg yolks; return egg mixture to saucepan.
- Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until mixture boils; boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour into pre-baked pie shell.
- MERINGUE TOPPING:
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this on warm pie filling, carefully sealing to the edges of crust.
- Bake 5 to 8 minutes or just until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool to room temperature; chill for several hours.
I didn't put the Meringue on top of the pie because we don't like it, but make it as a Chocolate Cream Pie... We LOVED this pie! Thick and rich chocolate. Perfect with some Cool Whip on top... Yum!
The filling is good but my mirange didn't set up. I followed the instructions.
The recipe has turned out great for me. The taste is chocolaty rich!!! First time at baking a chcolate pie without using a boxed pudding. Loved it. Easy to follow recipe too. Thank you.