Make and share this Chocolate Cream Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt in medium saucepan; stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils; remove from heat.
- Stir half of the mixture into beaten egg yolks; return egg mixture to saucepan.
- Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until mixture boils; boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour into pre-baked pie shell.
- MERINGUE TOPPING:
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this on warm pie filling, carefully sealing to the edges of crust.
- Bake 5 to 8 minutes or just until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool to room temperature; chill for several hours.