Make and share this Chocolate Cream Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt in medium saucepan; stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils; remove from heat.
- Stir half of the mixture into beaten egg yolks; return egg mixture to saucepan.
- Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until mixture boils; boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour into pre-baked pie shell.
- MERINGUE TOPPING:
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this on warm pie filling, carefully sealing to the edges of crust.
- Bake 5 to 8 minutes or just until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool to room temperature; chill for several hours.
I didn't put the Meringue on top of the pie because we don't like it, but make it as a Chocolate Cream Pie... We LOVED this pie! Thick and rich chocolate. Perfect with some Cool Whip on top... Yum!
The recipe has turned out great for me. The taste is chocolaty rich!!! First time at baking a chcolate pie without using a boxed pudding. Loved it. Easy to follow recipe too. Thank you.
This didn't turn out good for me either, same as Katybird. I followed the recipe exactly. I made sure to stir continuously using a wooden spoon in a non-stick pan on medium heat and I couldn't even let it come to a boil as it was thickening up so much it was pulling away from the pan. So I went ahead and put half into a bowl with the egg yolks stirred well return egg mixture to pan, still stirring continuously it was starting to smooth out but then before it could reach boiling point, it started thickening up so much it was pulling away from the pan again and cramping my hand. Please give me suggestions as to what may have caused this or how to prevent that from happening should I try and make it again in the future. Thanks, Regina