Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is from Canadian Living. It is sweet, sticky and soooo good! It would be great for a brunch. It sounds complicated but is actually quite easy. Takes awhile to make. What I like is this recipe has a bread maker option (see bottom of recipe). I did it in my breadmachine and used Fleischmann's breadmachine yeast. While the recipe calls for chocolate chips I used a chopped up chocolate bar instead and think that this made it even better.
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons bread machine yeast or 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (approx)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries or 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 2⁄3 cup chocolate chips or 1 chopped chocolate bar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sifted icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- In large bowl, dissolve 1 tsp (5 mL) of the sugar in warm water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan over medium heat, heat milk, remaining sugar, butter and salt until butter is melted; let cool to lukewarm. Whisk 2 of the eggs; whisk into yeast mixture. Whisk in milk mixture. Stir in 3-1/2 cups (875 mL) of the flour to make soft slightly sticky dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead for 10 minutes, adding enough of the remaining flour as necessary to make dough smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Grease 10-inch (3 L) springform pan; set aside.
- Filling: In bowl, mix sugar with corn syrup; stir in cranberries, chocolate chips and pecans. Punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface. Roll out into 18- x 11-inch (45 x 28 cm) rectangle. Spread filling over dough, pressing into surface; sprinkle with cinnamon. Starting at long edge, tightly roll up; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down; cut in half lengthwise. Keeping cut sides up, twist halves together; place in prepared pan, shaping into ring. Pinch ends together to seal. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over wreath. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for 35 minutes or until golden. Run knife around bread; remove from pan and let cool on rack.
- Icing: Mix together icing sugar, milk and butter; drizzle over bread. (Twist can be wrapped and stored for up to 1 day.).
- Additional Information.Bread Machine Chocolate Cranberry Twist (for dough only). Use 4 cups (1 L) flour. Into pan of 1-1/2- to 2-lb (750 g to 1 kg) machine, add (in order) water, milk, eggs, melted butter, sugar, salt, flour and yeast. Choose dough setting. Shape and bake as above.