Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Rick Rodgers' Christmas 101.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- Line an 8 or 9-inch baking pan with a double-thickness of foil so that the foil extends 2 inches over the opposite ends of the pan.
- Fold the overhang to form handles.
- Butter the inside of the foil-lined pan.
- In a big mixing bowl, combine the butter and next 6 ingredients.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and evaporated milk; lightly butter the exposed sides of the saucepan above the surface of the sugar mixture; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a flat wooden spatula to prevent scorching.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the pan; boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 238° (soft-ball stage).
- Pour the hot mixture over the ingredients in the bowl; let stand for 30 seconds.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and begins to develop a sheen (about 1 minute).
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Let stand at room temp at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Lift up on the foil handles to remove fudge from the pan.
- Cut into squares and lift up from foil.
- Store in air-tight containers at room temperature.