Prep 2 hrs
Cook 24 hrs
Cranachan is Scotland's traditional harvest-time pudding, a blend of Crowdie(an artisanal cottage cheese), cream, toasted oats, berries, whisky and honey. Here, it's updated with creme fraiche, toasted hazelnuts and grated chocolate, and served parfait style in individual goblets. To allow the flavors to meld, assemble the parfaits ahead of time and chill them overnight before serving.
- 2 cups coarsely grated bittersweet chocolate or 2 cups semisweet chocolate (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted,husked,coarsely chopped (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 cup old fashipned oats (do not use instant)
- 1 3⁄4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup creme fraiche or 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup whiskey
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Mix chocolate, hazelnuts, and brown sugar in medium bowl.
- Spread oats out on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Stir hot oats into chocolate mixture (Hot oats will partially melt chocolate); set aside until chocolate firms, at least 2 hours.
- Using electric mixer, beat whipping cream, creme fraiche, and sugar in large bowl until cream mixture holds peaks.
- Fold in whiskey.
- In each of six 10 to 12 ounce goblets, layer 1/4 cup cream mixture and 1/4 cup oat mixture; repeat layering.
- Top each parfait with 1/4 cup cream mixture and sprinkle with oat mixture.
- Cover and chill overnight.