Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Yummy little balls of soft chocolate cookie with powdered sugar.... a delicious (yet messy) treat for young and old. (Note: time to chill cookie dough not included in time estimates)
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (approx)
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and butter until smooth, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in sugar and continue stirring 2-3 min or until sugar dissolves. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; stir in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir into the chocolate mix in batches, until just blended. Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until the dough is cold and holds its shape.
- Preheat oven to 325 deg. Grease two or more large baking sheets. Place powdered sugar in a small, deep bowl. Using your hands scoop cold dough into small balls and roll into 1 ½ in balls. Drop each ball into the powdered sugar and roll until heavily coated. Remove with a slotted spoon and tap against the side of the bowl to remove excess sugar. Place on the baking sheets 1 ½ in apart.
- Bake for 10-15 min or until tops feel slightly firm when touched. Place baking sheet on wire rack for 2-3 min, then remove cookies and cool on rack completely.
DRY!! I tried making them small, medium, and extra large. I tried baking only 10 minutes and they were dry as a bone. When I was mixing them, I was kind of leary about how stiff they were and how hard it was to stir them.
Salt was mentioned in the text, but not listed in the ingredient list, so I wasn't sure how much to add. I am not a baker, so I guessed at 1/2 tsp. My daughter thought it was pretty messy to roll them into balls, but she thought they tasted like the donut shop Munchkins. Since I said they were cookies, she renamed them "Munkies." These were the only Christmas cookies we made this year, and they turned out well. Took 15 mins. to bake ours.
Rolled these in granulated sugar for lack of the powdered kind... they still came out crackly looking and kinda sparkly too. Yummy!