Recipe by crazymom
moist, chewy chocolate cookies that looks as good as it tastes
Top Review by Perri's Mom
A definate for a chocolate lover! I did shorten the steps and time by refrigerating the dough for 2 hours then dropping a spoonful of dough into the confectioner's sugar, coating the dough and then rolling it into a ball to place on the cookie sheet. They turned out great. This was faster than making four logs to cut, dip and roll.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for rolling
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt chocolate in a heat-proof bowl, or the top of a double boiler, over a pan of simmering water.
- Set aside to cool.
- Into a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and light-brown sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until well combined.
- Add melted chocolate.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Divide dough into quarters, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 2 hours.
- On a surface dusted with confectioners' sugar, use your hands to roll each portion of dough into a log 16-inches in length and about 1 inch in diameter.
- Wrap logs in plastic wrap, and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut each log into 1-inch pieces, and toss pieces in confectioners’ sugar, a few at a time.
- Using your hands, roll the pieces into balls.
- If any of the cocoa-colored dough is visible, roll dough in confectioners’ sugar again to coat completely.
- Place cookies on parchment-lined baking sheets 2-inches apart.
- Bake until cookies have flattened and sugar splits, 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely.