Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My GF passed this recipe along to me last year before the holiday. I am making it again today for a block party. It's a buttery chocolatey delight! Make a double batch, one with & with out the nuts. *Prep and cooking time does not include chilling/cooling time.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil. Coat with nonstick spray.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with a single layer of saltine crackers.
- Melt butter and sugar over med-low heat. Whisk until butter melted and mixture begins to boil. Boil for 3 minutes, whisking constantly. All the sugar granules should be melted.
- Carefully pour over the crackers.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes until bubbly. The crackers may bubble & lift off the bottom of the baking sheet, don't worry!
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let rest for a couple minutes until choc chips begin to get glossy and soft.
- Spread the chocolate over the toffee, sprinkle with nuts, pressing the nuts into the warm toffee.
- Cool completely. *Best results when cooled in in the fridge.
- Cut or break into pieces.
I love this stuff, but it had been years since I had made it and seen a recipe, so I couldn't remember how to make it. After using this recipe I would definitely tweak the it a bit. I made it using dark, but it was a bit too heavy on the molasses, so I made it again the next day using light brown sugar and liked that much better. Also, I saw another recipe that said to NOT STIR AT ALL once it comes to a boil. I tried this the 2nd time, as my first attempt ended up really grainy. My 2nd attempt w/ no stirring came out great! So those would be the changes I would make! Other than that, this is an awesome treat!!
YUMMY!!! Just popped these into the freezer for Thanksgiving Day. They are so good and easy to make. My extra picky eater son loves them and wasn't happy about having to wait. No doubt they will be a big hit. Thanks for a tasty and easy recipe.