Recipe by GinnaBee
What's better than chocolate covered strawberries? Chocolate covered strawberries on top of a cake! This recipe consist of strawberry cake, chocolate ganache, and chocolate covered strawberries. I make this on special occasions, and my family always looks forward to eating it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1⁄2 lb fresh strawberries, with leaves (around 12)
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup fresh crushed strawberry, unsweetened
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans, set aside.
- For chocolate covered strawberries:.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and shortening, stirring occasionally until smooth. Holding them by leaves, dip the strawberries into the chocolate mixture.
- Lay strawberries on wax paper to cool, set aside.
- For cake:.(to shorten time, you may substitute your favorite boxed strawberry cake mix).
- Sift together: flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat for 3 minutes.
- Combine flour mixture and butter mixture, along with crushed strawberries.
- Beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into two 8-inch round greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Turn out on to wire cooling racks to cool.
- For chocolate ganache:.
- Place the chocolate into a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot. When the cream has come to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth.
- Allow the ganache to cool slightly before applying. For the bottom layer, start at the center of the cake and work outward. Place 2nd layer on top of 1st layer, and spread ganache on top of and to the sides of cake.
- Arrange chocolate covered strawberries on top of cake.