Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
Wow, this sounds so yummy! I love chocolate covered strawberries. Can't wait to make this one! Enjoy!
- 158.51 ml butter, softened
- 354.88 ml sugar, divided
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 591.47 ml flour
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml milk
- 4 egg whites
- 236.59 ml sliced fresh strawberries
- 1774.42 ml confectioners' sugar
- 354.88 ml baking cocoa
- 177.44 ml butter, softened
- 236.59 ml milk
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml sliced fresh strawberries
- 8 whole fresh strawberries
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 T. at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into batter. Fold in strawberries.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Beat in butter and milk until smooth. Beat in vanilla.
- Spread frosting over bottom cake layer; top with sliced strawberries. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake. Dip whole strawberries into frosting; arrange around and on top of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
I saw this recipe in the Summer Taste of Home Magazine and thought YUMM! I decided to make it for my boss' birthday. I did a trial run first, and am glad I did. This is one recipe that you need to line your cake pans parchment paper as well as greasing and flouring. I only greased and floured the first time and had trouble getting them out of the pan. One came out in pieces. I'm sure that it was the strawberries sticking. The second cake (w/ the parchment) came out of the pans wonderfully. The cake was a hit at the birthday party. I recommend! Thanks for taking the time to post, ocurt Shrock. Sue
Extremely yummy cake!!! I made this for a valentine day supper club party and everyone loved it. I am making it again for my moms birthday. I copied the ingredients and followed the directions exactly as described and it was perfect!.