Recipe by Courtly
Wow, this sounds so yummy! I love chocolate covered strawberries. Can't wait to make this one! Enjoy!
Top Review by SweetSueAl
I saw this recipe in the Summer Taste of Home Magazine and thought YUMM! I decided to make it for my boss' birthday. I did a trial run first, and am glad I did. This is one recipe that you need to line your cake pans parchment paper as well as greasing and flouring. I only greased and floured the first time and had trouble getting them out of the pan. One came out in pieces. I'm sure that it was the strawberries sticking. The second cake (w/ the parchment) came out of the pans wonderfully. The cake was a hit at the birthday party. I recommend! Thanks for taking the time to post, ocurt Shrock. Sue
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 7 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups baking cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 8 whole fresh strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 T. at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into batter. Fold in strawberries.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Beat in butter and milk until smooth. Beat in vanilla.
- Spread frosting over bottom cake layer; top with sliced strawberries. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake. Dip whole strawberries into frosting; arrange around and on top of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.