Cook1 hr 30 mins
Like the Boy Scouts chocolate popcorn? You'll like this! Ever wonder how they get it to stay so crunchy? I think I figured it out! Makes a great handmade gift.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place the popped corn in the largest baking pan you have (might have to do it in 2 batches if you only have a 9x13). You need to be able to stir the popcorn!
- Melt butter in a very large saucepan (see step 6).
- Add brown sugar and corn syrup. Stirring CONSTANTLY, bring to a boil and boil 5 minute.
- Add peanuts (if desired).
- Add soda (will foam up, so be ready).
- Pour caramel over popcorn and mix well.
- Bake popcorn one hour, stirring every 10-15 minute.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. You'll have to stir it every once in a while so it doesn't stick together.
- Spray a cookie sheet with oil or cover with parchment paper.
- Melt half of chocolate per package directions (you can melt more when you need it).
- Dip popcorn pieces in chocolate and place chocolate-covered popcorn pieces individually on the cookie sheet so they can set up.
- Popcorn can be stored at room temp or in the refrigerator. Just keep cool so it doesn't melt.
Amazing! tasted great! I used only 8 cups of popcorn instead of 12 as in the recipe, and was worried that the caramel was going to be too much, but it was amazing, every corn was covered.......LOVE it. I used semi-sweet chocolate, added, dried cranberries, pecans, almonds and walnuts.....WOW...thank you for posting...can't wait for an occasion so I can gift this...better then store bought ones and surely cheaper ;)
I'm about to try it again, but so far this recipe has not been successful. I boiled the butter/brown sugar/corn syrup mixture for the specified 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Everything was going ok until I added the baking soda. Instead of foaming up as I expected, the mixture immediately durned dark brown and the sugar burned. Smells like burnt marshmallow in my house now. I'm going to try it again, boling at a lower heat level and for less time. ADDED 9-20-09: Tried again, cooked it at a lower heat for about 2 minutes before putting it in the oven. Much better. However, I just was not crazy about it with chocolate on top. Something about it just did not jive with me. Hubby liked it, though, so I have it four stars. Thanks for sharing. :)
This was a yummy treat! I love chocolate caramel covered popcorn, but haven't ever made it. I dipped some of the caramel covered popcorn and then the other I drizzled with the chocolate. This would be a great gift! Thanks, wyojess!