Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
Adapted from Cooking with Friends to be healthier!
- 3⁄8 cup applesauce
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter, separated into 1/4 cups
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8x8 or 9x9 pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine the applesauce, unsalted butter, and sugar. Blend until light and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and 1/4 cup of the peanut butter, blend until smooth.
- Blend in the large egg, or 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters if you are substituting.
- Mix together the flour and baking powder, and add it to the wet ingredients.
- Put the batter in the greased pan and bake for 18-20 minutes if using an 8x8, 15-18 if using a 9x9 pan.
- Remove the bars from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, start the topping.
- Combine 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and 1/4 of peanut butter in a small saucepan. Set over low heat, and, stirring frequently, melt the two together until they are completely smooth and combined.
- Spread the melted mixture over the bars and allow to cool completely. Cut into 16 bars.