1/2 Photos of Chocolate-Covered Gingerbread Cake
So many German settlers carried their gingerbread treats to small towns around this country that the sweetly spiced cakes and cookies have become an all-American tradition. Coated with a chocolate ganache glaze, the homey cake of holidays past is transformed into a special-occasion dessert. This cake can be made vegan by using non-dairy margarine instead of butter and Rich's Whip instead of real whipping cream and ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips with exceptional results. You can also add raspberries to the top. Recipe is from Bon Appetit, Dec. 2002.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (3/4 stick)
- 1/3 cup mild-flavored light molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1For cake:
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F Butter 9-inch square metal baking pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Butter parchment. Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- 3Mix warm water and baking soda in small bowl until baking soda dissolves. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, molasses, eggs, and fresh ginger in large bowl until well blended. Add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with water mixture in 2 additions, beating until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 4Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool on rack 20 minutes. Run knife around edge of cake to loosen. Invert cake onto rack; cool. Peel off parchment.
- 5For glaze:
- 6Bring first 3 ingredients to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and vanilla; stir until smooth. Let stand until cool but still pourable, about 20 minutes.
- 7Place cake on rack set atop baking sheet. Reserve 1/2 cup glaze. Pour remaining glaze over cake, spreading with spatula to coat top and sides. Chill cake and reserved glaze until reserved glaze is just firm enough to pipe, about 1 hour.
- 8Transfer reserved glaze to pastry bag fitted with 1/4-inch plain tip. Pipe 5 diagonal lines atop cake, spacing evenly. Cluster crystallized ginger atop lines. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Covered Gingerbread Cake
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.6
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 217.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: