Recipe by Annacia
This is a fun and simple little recipe, especially designed for Easter. Little kids can get involved with preparing this one, but the final product is strictly adult-fare. I suppose that you could substitute decaf. beans, but I think that would defeat the purpose of the candy. I'm guessing at the prep time, cook time is freezer time. I'm thinking that the only hard part might be finding the molds.
Top Review by looneytunesfan
I wish I was more artistic so I could have posted a photo. I couldn't find the duck molds so I had to use the ice cube trays. Because of that they didn't look like ducks. :( They were taste tho.
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- powdered unsweetened cocoa
- 60 espresso beans (three per duck)
Directions See How It's Made
- You will also need: rubber ice-cube trays, or candy molds in the shape ducks.
- Melt the Chocolate:.
- In a double boiler, boil water in the bottom level of the double boiler pot.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil.
- Add chocolate chips to the top level, then slowly stir in the cream.
- Stir until the mixture is smooth and thin. Lower the heat and stir occasionally until it is time to use the chocolate.
- Prepare the Trays:.
- Lightly powder the rubber trays with unsweetened cocoa.
- Fill each duck reservoir half-way with chocolate. Place 3 coffee beans in each reservoir.
- Add more melted chocolate to each reservoir, enough to fill each duck to the top.
- Lightly tap or jiggle the tray on the countertop. This will settle the chocolate and ensure that there are no air pockets in the candy.
- Then take a knife and scrape the excess chocolate from the tray.
- Glide the knife over each reservoir to create a smooth surface for the back of the candy.
- Final Step:.
- Put the candy trays on a flat surface in the freezer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove the candy and gently remove the ducks from the tray.
- This is not as difficult as removing ice cubes since the duck trays are rubber and are very pliable.
- You'll notice that the powdered cocoa has given the candy a matte finish.
- Now place the ducks on a plate or put them in an Easter egg for final presentation.