Recipe by Bev
The combination of chocolate and coconut makes for a luscious treat. Prepa time includes refrideragion time.
Top Review by cookiedog
Wow! These would make a nice valentine gift for someone. That is if you can keep from eating them all yourself. I used shredded coconut because it is what I had on hand. I also used half bittersweet chocolate and half semi-sweet chips, also what I had on hand. These were fun to make and I might make them a little smaller next time so I'll feel less guilty if I eat 3! These are a very special splurge!
- 709.77 ml lightly packed sweetened flaked coconut
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml egg white (about 6 large)
- 8.62 ml vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml almond extract
- 255.14 g bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 255.14 g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 88.74 ml heavy whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 3 ingredients in heavy large saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture appears somewhat pasty, stirring constantly, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract.
- Spread out coconut mixture on large baking sheet.
- Refrigerate until cold, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line another baking sheet with parchment.
- Press 1/4 cup coconut mixture into pyramid shape (about 1 1/2 inches high).
- Place on prepared sheet.
- Repeat with remaining coconut mixture.
- Bake cookies until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to rack and cool.
- Set cookies on rack over rimmed baking sheet.
- Stir chocolate and cream in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Spoon glaze over cookies, covering almost completely and allowing chocolate to drip down sides.
- Refrigerate until glaze sets, at least 2 hours.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead).
- Transfer cookies to airtight container and keep refrigerated.