This is from the Cake Doctor cookbook, adapted from a 1974 Pillsbury bake-off winner. This is different than others posted because it is not in layers and has a glaze poured over while cake is still warm. (The only change I made is reduce the sugar quantity from 1 C to 3/4 C, to make the glaze chocolate-y but not quite as sweet.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix (I use devils food)
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1Lightly grease a 13 x 9 baking pan or spray with vegetable oil spray. Set pan aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 dg. with rack in center of oven.
- 3Place cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract in a large mixing bowl. Blend at low speed for 1 minute, then stop and scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more. Batter should look thick and well-blended.
- 4Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with spatula, then place in oven. Bake 30-34 minutes, until cake springs back in center when touched. Place on rack while making glaze.
- 5Place sugar, butter and milk in a small sauceman over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Boil gently for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 6Remove pan from heat and mix in chocolate chips. After chips have melted and glaze is smooth, pour it over the warm cake so that it covers entire surface. The glaze with be thin, but will firm up. (I speed up the process by chilling cake.).
- 7After glaze is set and cake has cooled down, cut into serving size pieces and enjoy!
- 8(NOTE: The glaze is very rich. If you are not as much of a chocolate lover as I (huh?) make sure there is only a thin layer covering top of cake.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Covered Cherry Sheet Cake With Pour -Over Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (1692 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5037.3
- Calories from Fat 1851
- Total Fat 205.7 g
- Saturated Fat 90.5 g
- Cholesterol 596.9 mg
- Sodium 5009.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 805.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.9 g
- Sugars 440.9 g
- Protein 55.6 g