1/1 Photo of Chocolate-Covered Cherry Pie
If you really want to impress your guests or family with a dessert then this is it! This is a never-fail pie that I have made on many occasions, it's absolutely fantastic! --- plan ahead the pie needs to chill for a minimum of 8 hours before serving --- it's also wonderful even without the chocolate-dipped cherries, the first time I made it I did use the cherries, the second time I made this I just drizzled the melted chocolate on the cold pie, then dolluped whipped cream around the edge of the pie :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 ounce) ready-made chocolate crumb crusts
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1/4 cup butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 16 maraschino cherries (with stems attached) (optional)
- 2 cups whipped cream (or use Cool Whip topping, thawed)
- 1Microwave the semi-sweet baking chips with 1/2 cup whipping cream until the chocolate begins to melt (about 1 minute) remove and whisk in 1/4 cup butter until smooth; let cool, whisking occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture reaches a spreading consistency.
- 2Spoon half of the mixture over the ready-made pie crust.
- 3Cover and chill remaining chocolate mixture.
- 4Spoon the cherry pie filling evenly over the chocolate mixture in the pie crust; place the crust on a baking sheet.
- 5In a bowl beat softened cream cheese with powdered sugar, egg and almond extract at medium speed using an electric mixer until smooth.
- 6Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over the cherry filling (the pie will be very full but shouldn't overflow when baked, but place the pie on a baking sheet anyway!).
- 7Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 8Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center is set; remove from oven and cool to about room temperature.
- 9Refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours.
- 10This next step with the cherries is optional, you can just drizzle the top of the cooled pie with melted chocolate and then dollop with whipped cream.
- 11Place 16 maraschino cherries with the stems on paper towels; pat them dry.
- 12Microwave the reserved chocolate mixture at MEDIUM for about 1 minute or until spreading consistency, stir until smooth.
- 13Dip the cherries into the warmed chocolate mixture, then place on a baking sheet.
- 14Chill the cherries for about 20 minutes (or longer).
- 15Spread any remaining chocolate over the pie, then spoon 8 dollops of whipped cream (or Cool Whip topping) around the outer edges of the pie.
- 16Place 2 chocolate-covered cherries on top of each dollop.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Covered Cherry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.3
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 104.8 mg
- Sodium 320.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 34.1 g
- Protein 6.9 g