Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are made using Hershey's Milk Chocolate Candy Bars ; )
Make and share this Chocolate-covered Cherry Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened (5 Tbsp plus 1 tsp)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 (1 5/8 ounce) hershey milk chocolate candy bars, each broken in 12 squares
- 12 maraschino cherries, without stems,patted dry with paper towels
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 hershey milk chocolate candy bar, melted
- stemmed maraschino cherry, patted dry
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 regular-size (2 1/2-in. diameter) muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk flour and cocoa powder in a small bowl until blended; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt with a mixer on high speed 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat 2 minutes or until fluffy.
- Reduce mixer speed to low; beat in milk (batter will look curdled), then the flour mixture just until blended.
- Spoon evenly into lined muffin cups Place a square of chocolate in center of each cupcake.
- Top with a cherry and another square of chocolate.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes until a pick inserted off center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes before removing from pan to rack to cool com-pletely (cupcakes will sink in center).
- Frosting: Beat cream cheese, but-ter and cherry juice in a medium bowl with mixer on high speed until blend-ed and smooth.
- Reduce speed to low; beat in confectioners' sugar.
- Refriger-ate 15 minutes or until firm enough to spread.
- Frost cupcakes.
- To garnish: Top each cupcake with 1 or 2 cherries.
- Melt chocolate bar and scrape into a ziptop bag.
- Cut a tip off a corner of bag; drizzle chocolate over half or all the cupcakes.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving or up to 1 day.
These were a huge hit! They look gorgeous and they are pretty easy to make. Hubby and kids raved over these. I followed the recipe exact except I did not have cherries with stems, so I decorated the tops with stemless ones :) These would be fabulous at a party or shower. A couple suggestions if you make these: watch carefully, because I left mine in for 18 minutes and they probably should have come out a bit sooner. Also, the frosting recipe makes A LOT! I think I probably could have cut it in half. Our cupcakes had about 3/4 of an inch of frosting on them and I still had extra frosting. Thanks for posting this, RecipeNut!
So good! I changed the recipe a little... used a boxed devil's food cake mix because I was short on time, and omitted the drizzled chocolate over the top because I didn't think it needed it. They came out really pretty and tasted great. Thanks!
This was a really good recipe! I made 1/2 of the batter into cupcakes, and made the other half into a mini tub-cake with chocolate and cherries in the middle. I took a picture just for fun. Thanks for the recipe!!:-)