Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
I love how easy this recipe is to make. It takes just a few things that I usually have on hand, and they are fun to make with the kids. My mom made these cookies when we were little and they never lasted long! Don't worry if you run out of cherries before you run out of dough. You can make a ball, put a thumbprint in it, and fill with a peanut butter cup. Delicious.
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 4 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Separate your cherries from the jar, saving the juice for later.
- In an electric mixer, beat butter till soft.
- Add 3/4 cup of flour and mix. Then add sugar, cocoa powder, egg, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of the cherry juice. Be sure to scrape the sides or you will have tough cookies.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup of flour.
- Taking a regular breakfast spoon, fill barely with the dough. Flatten in your hands, and place a cherry in the middle. Form the dough around the cherry, making sure there are no cracks because the cookies will dry out.
- Place on a nonstick baking sheet about an inch or so apart.
- Wash your fingers occasionally because the dough will start to gather on your fingertips and will make it very hard to not rip the dough up.
- Before you bake, prepare your frosting.
- In a small saucepan, stir together chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk.
- Cook over low heat until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and add reserved cherry juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, just until it is smooth enough for you to spread. (Should it get cold and you need to reheat it, do it over low heat and add another tablespoon of the cherry juice, stirring constantly until it is warm.).
- Bake in preheated oven for about 8 to 10 minutes. They start to dry out on the top when they are done.
- Remove from sheet and place on a cooling rack right away.
- Frost your cookies right away while they are warm.
- Delicious warm, but also wonderful cool. Keep covered in the fridge to keep the consistency.