Recipe by katehealy
The best cookies ever.
Top Review by FoodDramaGirl
This is my FAVORITE cookie recipe of all time!
Do you like Cherry Cordials? Mmmmm...Chocolate and Cherries. My grandmother bought me a box of Cherry Cordials every Christmas. I'd carefully unwrap the box and take one from the tray. I'd smell the chocolate and then bite into the sweet gooey mess. I'd never pop the whole thing in. I liked biting it in half and sucking up the filling that wanted to spill down the sides.
My grandmother has passed away, so I no longer get Cherry Cordials, but I've been using this recipe for years and it brings back those memories.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 (10 ounce) jarssmall maraschino cherries (about 48) or 24 large maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces (not imitation)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat margarine or butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat on low speed of electric mixer till fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat well on medium speed. Gradually add flour mixture to beaten mixture, beating on low speed till well blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press down center of each ball with thumb.
- Drain maraschino cherries, reserving the juice. Press a small cherry or large cherry half into the center of each ball of cookie dough.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan melt chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk over low heat, stirring often. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the reserved cherry juice. Spoon about 1 teaspoon frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. If necessary, add additional cherry juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, to thin frosting.
- Bake in a 350° oven about 10 minutes or till done. Remove and cool on a wire rack.