I got this out of BH&G magazine. I love chocolate covered cherries and this recipe is to die for. Enjoy!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 48 maraschino cherries, undrained
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- In mixing bowl combine flour and cocoa, set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter until softened, add sugar and next 3 ingredients, beat until well combined.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat well.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Shape dough into 1" balls; place on ungreased pan. Press down center of each cookie and place a cherry in center of each.
- In small saucepan combine chocolate and milk, heat until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in 4 tsp cherry juice.
- Spoon 1 tsp chocolate mixture over each cherry.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes until done. Remove to wire rack; cool and serve.
- If frosting is too thick it may be thinned with additional cherry juice.
haven't eaten them yet... Only got 24 cookies even using small cherries... I was using dark chocolate chips and cocoa..... my "frosting" sort of stayed as a glop on top of the cookies.. I'll modify that part of the plan next time... Nora
These are really good. I used dark cocoa powder and drizzled white chocolate over the tops after they cooled, and they looked beautiful. For a quick recipe, these look like you spend a lot of time on them.
I make these as a Christmas Gift for one of my chocoholics friends. She said they were to die for good!