Recipe by NC Griller
This is the most moist cake I have ever tasted. The cake has only 4 ingredients from the Cake Mix Doctor (with a little bit of personal tweaking). Yummy! I have used several different types of chocolate cake mix and both sugar-free and regular cherry pie filling with excellent results. Store cake covered in aluminum foil at room temperature for up to 5 days. Better if served at room temperature. Can be frozen by wrapping in foil for up to 6 months,
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 (21 ounce) can sugar-free cherry pie filling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup 60% cocoa chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 13x9-inch baking pan by lightly spraying.
- Place cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scape down the bowl several times to incorporate all the mix.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula.
- Place in oven.
- Cake is ready when a toothpick comes out clean and it starts to pull away from the sides.
- Cool on wire rack
- For the glaze, when the cake is removed from the oven, place sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil, while stirring, for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips. When the chips have melted and the glaze is smooth, pour it over the warm cake.
- Cool the cake for 20 minutes more before cutting it into squares and serving.