Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
You can prepare these ahead. The candy just gets better as it is stored, with the centers becoming even juicier.
- 591.47 ml confectioners' sugar
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine, softened
- 14.79 ml milk
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- 2 (453.59 g) jar maraschino cherries, with stems well drained
- 473.18 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips (12 ounces)
- 29.58 ml shortening
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter, milk and extract; mix well.
- Knead into a large ball.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and flatten each into a 2-inch circle.
- Wrap around cherries and lightly roll in hands.
- Place with stems up on waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl.
- Holding on to stem, dip cherries into chocolate; set on waxed paper to harden.
- Store in a covered container.
- Refrigerate 1-2 weeks before serving.
- Yield: about 3 dozen.
Yummy!! Easy to make and oh so good... Wonderful addition to my christmas cookies and good for gift giving. Thank-you and onto makeing my second batch as hubby is cleaning the first lot off :)
Look no further! These are just fabulous. I didn"t use stemmed cherries so I used a toothpick to dip them. After they were set I carefully "recovered" any spot missing chocolate to keep the filling from oozing. I also did a little white chocolate drizzle on them. they were as pretty as they were sinfully delicious.Thank you for sharing!
I made these for my BIL for the holidays, because they are his favorite candy. He thought it was the greatest gift he got! He ate one, smiled, and said this was the best tasting cherries he has ever had!