Recipe by Olha
You can prepare these ahead. The candy just gets better as it is stored, with the centers becoming even juicier.
Top Review by Valerie in Australia
Yummy!! Easy to make and oh so good... Wonderful addition to my christmas cookies and good for gift giving. Thank-you and onto makeing my second batch as hubby is cleaning the first lot off :)
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 (8 ounce) jars maraschino cherries, with stems well drained
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter, milk and extract; mix well.
- Knead into a large ball.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and flatten each into a 2-inch circle.
- Wrap around cherries and lightly roll in hands.
- Place with stems up on waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl.
- Holding on to stem, dip cherries into chocolate; set on waxed paper to harden.
- Store in a covered container.
- Refrigerate 1-2 weeks before serving.
- Yield: about 3 dozen.