Recipe by KaraRN
Recipe from Taste of Home web site. They give Janice Pehrson, Omaha, Nebraska credit for these gems. Time doesn't include chilling
Top Review by Nathan's Nana
I made these about one week ago and they taste wonderful. My husband says they taste better than the store bought ones. I did add about a tablespoon of the maraschino juice and it made it a pretty pink color. Thanks for the recipe.
- 60 maraschino cherries, with stems
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat cherries dry with paper towels; set aside. In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt; mix well. Knead until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll into 1/2-in. balls; flatten each into a 2-in. circle. Wrap each circle around a cherry and lightly roll in hands. Place cherries with stems up on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover loosely and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Holding onto the stem, dip each cherry into chocolate; set on waxed paper. Refrigerate until hardened. Store in a covered container. Refrigerate for 1-2 weeks before serving.