Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love chocolate covered cherries,and these are so easy to make.I make them every Christmas and Valentines Day
- Drain cherries,place on paper towels and pat well.
- Set aside.
- Place sifted powdered sugar in bowl.
- Combine melted butter,evaporated milk vanilla,and salt.
- Pour over powdered sugar and mix well.
- May need to use hands to form a stiff,not sticky dough.
- Add more powdered sugar slowly,if need to form dough.
- Now pinch of a small amount,flatten into a disc and form around each cherry.
- Pinch off any excess dough.
- Place cherry on wax paper lined cookie sheets and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening over boiling water in double boiler.
- Dip cherries in chocolate,scraping off excess.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is hard.
- (I cheat sometimes and just use the chocolate flavored Almond Bark or candy coating).
I was really happy with this recipe. I put my kids in an assembly line to roll the cherries. It was a lot of fun! We did a large jar of about 96 cherries and had plenty of dough for all of them in a single batch. I also doubled the shortening in the chocolate coating. Excellent!
These were pretty good, but I guess I was expecting a liquid center like most chocolate covered cherries have. I read reviews that say they will liquify if left sitting, but it has been about a week. I keep tasting one a day and they still do not have a liquid center, but they do taste good.
Great! Super yummy and really really easy to make as well. Thankyou for sharing!!