Recipe by PCrocker
I make these every year for Christmas goodies and my husband hides them from everybody! They take about two weeks for the centers to get soft. This is a Southern Living recipe that's at least 20 years old. When you buy the cherries check the servings in the jar. You need 50 cherries, give or take a few.
- 2 (10 ounce) jars maraschino cherries (need 50 cherries)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the cherries; pat dry on paper towels, and set aside.
- In mixer bowl beat butter, corn syrup, and salt until well combined.
- Stir in powdered sugar and knead until smooth (mixture will be very stiff).
- Shape 1/2 teaspoon of sugar mixture around each cherry (make sure the cherries are dry so the sugar mixture will stick).
- Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheet and place in the freezer until cherries are firm.
- At this point you can place them in a container or freezer bag and return to the freezer for dipping later when it's convenient.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening in glass heat-proof bowl, stirring often so the chocolate doesn't burn.
- Dip each cherry in chocolate and place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- A carving fork works great for dipping the cherries.
- Chill until firm and store in the refrigerator.