8 hrs 50 mins
8 hrs 30 mins
Sarah Chana's Note:
My Ukranian-born husband has long reminisced about these delightful treats from his childhood. I've taken this recipe from "Please to the Table," a wonderful cookbook by Anya von Bremzen and John Welchman. I'm looking forward to trying it for an upcoming holiday! Preparation time includes overnight refrigeration and 30 minutes in the freezer. The actual work time is about 20 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a food processor, combine the cheeses, sugar, and egg yolks, and process until completely smooth.
- 2Transfer to a bowl and stir in the lemon zest, lemon extract and lemon juice.
- 3Wrap the mixture in a double thickness of damp cheesecloth and place in a colander set over a bowl. Fold the ends ofthe cheesecloth over the top; Place a small plate on the cheesecloth and put a 2 pound weight (like a can) on the plate.
- 4Refrigerate overnight.
- 5Unwrap the cheese mixture and roll into 1- 1/2" balls.
- 6Place the balls on a plate, and freeze to firm up, about 30 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and shortening in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Allow the chocolate to cool to lukewarm.
- 8Remove the cheeseballs fromthe freezer.
- 9Insert a toothpick into the center of one ball and dip it into the chocolate, coating completely, and allowing the excess to drip back into the pan.
- 10Place on a wax paper-covered plate, and remove the toothpick; dab a small amount of chocolate over the toothpick hole.
- 11Repeat with the rest of the cheeseballs.
- 12Refrigerate until the chocolate sets.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Covered Cheese Treats: a Russian Delight
Serving Size: 1 (974 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.2
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 23.6 mg
- Sodium 16.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of