Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook8 hrs 30 mins
My Ukranian-born husband has long reminisced about these delightful treats from his childhood. I've taken this recipe from "Please to the Table," a wonderful cookbook by Anya von Bremzen and John Welchman. I'm looking forward to trying it for an upcoming holiday! Preparation time includes overnight refrigeration and 30 minutes in the freezer. The actual work time is about 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the cheeses, sugar, and egg yolks, and process until completely smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the lemon zest, lemon extract and lemon juice.
- Wrap the mixture in a double thickness of damp cheesecloth and place in a colander set over a bowl. Fold the ends ofthe cheesecloth over the top; Place a small plate on the cheesecloth and put a 2 pound weight (like a can) on the plate.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap the cheese mixture and roll into 1- 1/2" balls.
- Place the balls on a plate, and freeze to firm up, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and shortening in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Allow the chocolate to cool to lukewarm.
- Remove the cheeseballs fromthe freezer.
- Insert a toothpick into the center of one ball and dip it into the chocolate, coating completely, and allowing the excess to drip back into the pan.
- Place on a wax paper-covered plate, and remove the toothpick; dab a small amount of chocolate over the toothpick hole.
- Repeat with the rest of the cheeseballs.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate sets.