Recipe by andypandy
why stop with just crunchy munchy sticky caramely corn when you can have chocolate too..
Top Review by pnmslocum
I love this recipe. I think if you like completely covered caramel corn, I would 1/2 the popped corn or double the caramel recipe part. I used 7 bags of microwave popcorn and doubled the caramel and chocolate parts of the recipe. The chocolate part was done in a double boiler and worked perfect- the marshmallow must suspend the chocolate because it didn't seize like chocolate would if you add water (gloppy blobs of chocolate). Love this recipe!!
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 7 quarts popped corn
- 1 cup Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 large marshmallows, cut in quarters
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup peanuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Caramel Corn:.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt in a saucepan.
- Boil 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the baking soda and vanilla.
- Stir well and then pour over popped corn in a large roaster.
- If you have to put into two large tinfoil buttered roasters, it will be easier to stir in two pans.
- Bake in oven at 250 degrees for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Pour onto waxed paper and cool.
- Break up into pieces.
- Chocolate Coating:.
- Melt chips, marshmallows, butter and water for about four minutes in the microwave, stirring until smooth.
- You can do this on the stove top too, just melt until very smooth.
- Place the cooled caramel corn and peanuts, if using, in a large roasting pan or on a large cookie sheet, single layer, and drizzle chocolate over lightly. Using a baggy with the corner snipped off, will help drizzling the coating over top.