1/2 Photos of Chocolate Covered Candied Orange Peel
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
From Birds & Blooms magazine, this reminds me of my mom, who always loved these.
My Private Note
cups, a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1With a sharp knife, score orange peel into four wedge-shaped sections. Loosen peel with a spoon and remove; save fruit for another use.
- 2Place peel in a heavy saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain, then repeat process twice, draining well each time. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 3Carefully scrape off excess pulp from peel. Cut the peel into 1/4 inch strips.
- 4In another saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat until clear. Add orange peel strips; boil gently until all syrup is absorbed and peel is transparent, about 30-35 minutes.
- 5Using a slotted spoon, transfer strips to wire racks for at least 3 hours or until dry.
- 6Melt the chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip each strip halfway into chocolate. Dip the other half in sugar if desired.
- 7Cool on racks that have been coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- 8Store in a covered container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 3 cups.
Browse Our Top Garnishes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Covered Candied Orange Peel
Serving Size: 1 (1302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.6
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 202.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 128.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 108.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g