Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sweet butter, melted & cooled
- 2 tablespoons Pernod
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons anise seeds
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar and melted butter.
- Add the
- Pernod, bourbon and anise seed.
- Beat in the eggs, then stir in the nuts.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Gently stir in the dry ingredients until well incorporated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for about three hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Butter two cookie sheets.
- Shape the dough on cookie sheets into three loaves, well spaced.
- Each loaf should be about two inches wide and 1/2" thick.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the loaves puff up and brown.
- When the loaves are cool enough to touch, cut each loaf into diagonal slices about 1/2" thick.
- Lay the slices on their cut sides and toast them at 375 F.
- for an additional 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Dip biscotti in chocolate the day they are to be served.
- In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips with the shortening, stirring frequently.
- (If you're *really* ambitious, add a little chocolate wax to get a good do on it.) Remove from heat and stir until a candy thermometer read 85 F.
- Holding each cookie by its bottom, gently dip the tops into chocolate. Turn immediately and allow to dry, uncoated side down, on wax paper.
- Repeat until all are done. ---*The Cereal Murders* Diane Mott Davidson ---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02