Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I first had these down at the beach on a hot summer day. It was the perfect treat to help cool down.
- 3 large firm bananas
- 10 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 6 wooden popsicle sticks
any of the following can be used as a topping
- chopped peanuts
- toasted coconut
- miniature M&M baking bits
- chopped walnuts
- Cut each Banana in half, so that you are left with 6 short pieces.
- Place the popsicle stick 2/3 of the way in to the banana.
- Freeze for 3 hours or overnight (if your in a rush freeze until they are at least firm).
- In a heat proof bowl combine chocolate and vegetable shortening.
- Heat a pan of water until it is boiling turn off, place heat bowl on top of pan (double boiler). Stir until chocolate is melted.
- Working quickly, dip bananas in chocolate, then roll in topping of choice (peanuts are the best).
- Place bananas back in freezer for at least 30 minutes to firm up again. Serve and enjoy.