From Happy Healthy Life. This is the original recipe which calls for one and three quarter's cup of animal crackers. The recipe was reduced and I used a box of Barnum Animal Crackers; only melting about one third of a bar of dark chocolate (specificallyTrader Joe's 73% Super Dark Organic Chocolate Bar). Update: I discovered yesterday that Barnum Animal Crackers are also available in a convenient eight ounce resealable package. fyi
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups animal crackers
- 2/3 cup melted chocolate, approximately (baking chocolate, dark, milk, white, semisweet, carob, etc.)
- non pareils candy sprinkles (or use your favorite type of sprinkles and any color you wish)
- 1In a double broiler, start melting your chocolate on medium-low heat. Do not burn! Reduce heat if necessary.
- 2Line one or two cookie sheets with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- 3Drop 3 cookies at a time into the melted chocolate, turning gently to coat all sides then carefully remove with a fork. *My change*: I only coated one side of each cookie.
- 4Place the coated cookies directly on the parchment paper. Immediately sprinkle the non pareils on the chocolate covered cookies while the chocolate is still soft. Repeat until all the cookies are coated with chocolate.
- 5Place the cookies in the refrigerator or freezer to harden.
- 6Yield is estimated allowing for broken cookies which is inevitable.
- 7Have fun trying to determine which animals are which through that thick layer of chocolate!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Covered Animal Crackers
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 20.0
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: