1/1 Photo of Chocolate-Covered Almond Cake
3 hrs 55 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is a moist cake with nice flavor. It has several steps, but they are fairly simple. From the new Spanish table, posted for zwt3 prep time includes cooking and cooling times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces blanched whole almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temp
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Make the almond cake - place the almonds and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a food processor and process till very finely ground.
- 2Place the eggs in a warm mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, beat them till fluffy about 1 minute.
- 3Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating at high speed till the eggs are pale yellow and approximately triple in volume, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4Working in batches, beat in the almond mixture and the flour, alternating with the olive oil and milk.
- 5Stir in the lemon zest and cinnamon.
- 6Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°.
- 7Line the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with a circle of waxed paper.
- 8Generously butter the paper and the sides of the pan.
- 9Scrape the batter into the prepared springform pan and tap it on a counter to level the batter.
- 10Bake the cake on the center rack until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- 11Let cake cool on a rack for about 20 minutes.
- 12While the cake is cooling, make the rum syrup: place the rum and sugar in a small saucepan.
- 13Add 1/2 cup water and heat, stirring over medium heat till the sugar is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- 14Run a thin knife around the side of the cake to loosen it, then remove the side of the pan.
- 15Invert the cake onto a plate and remove the bottom of the pan and the waxed paper.
- 16Prick the cake all over with a fork and generously brush it with the rum syrup, waiting for the syrup to be absorbed before brushing on more.
- 17Cover the cake loosely with plastic wrap and let stand for about 1 hour to fully absorb the syrup.
- 18Make the chocolate ganache - place the cream in a small, heavy saucepan and heat it over medium heat till it is hot but not boiling, and begins to bubble around the edge.
- 19Place the chocolate in a metal bowl and pour the hot cream over it all at once.
- 20Let the cream stand while the chocolate melts, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 21Using a rubber spatula, slowly stir the chocolate mixture in a circular motion, starting at the center of the bowl and working your way out to the side.
- 22Be careful not to stir too vigorously or you will add too much air to the ganache.
- 23Keep stirring till all the chocolate is melted and completely blended with the cream.
- 24(If by some chandce the ganache breaks - looks oily or curdled - you can fix it by heating 1/4 cup of heavy cream to a simmer, transfer it to a bowl and whisk in the broken ganache bit by bit).
- 25Let the ganache stand at room temp till thickened but spreadable, about 1 hour.
- 26Place the cake on a cake platter, spread the ganache generously over the top and sides, and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Covered Almond Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4232.0
- Calories from Fat 2116
- Total Fat 235.2 g
- Saturated Fat 51.0 g
- Cholesterol 1015.1 mg
- Sodium 356.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 385.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.9 g
- Sugars 315.8 g
- Protein 82.1 g