Recipe by vintagenovelty
NOTE: I'VE ALREADY UPDATED THE INGREDIENTS LIST. I've read many chocolate cookie recipes with chocolate centres that I decided to come up with my own. I made these really small. If they're too big, they'll turn out.. nasty. These rose up rather nicely in the oven, and my parents have dubbed this the "chocolate pillow"! Preparation time includes refrigeration time, and is just a guess.
- 130 g salted butter or 130 g unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
- 150 g sugar
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 15 g cocoa powder
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 100 g chocolate chips (about 50)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add salt if using.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together.
- Lightly beat the egg yolk with milk and vanilla extract together.
- Gradually beat egg mixture into butter/sugar mixture. Fold in flour/cocoa mixture.
- Press the dough together and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Grease 2 baking trays or line with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4" thick between two plastic sheets. Cut out with small cookie cutters.
- Repeat with remaining dough until all is used up.
- Place a chocolate chip in the centre of 1 piece of cookie dough. Top with another piece of cookie dough and press sides together to seal.
- Repeat until all the cookie dough is used up.
- Line them up nicely on the prepared baking tray and place in preheated oven. Bake for about 10 minutes, remove and cool on wire racks.