Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a delicious cookie from my grandmother. It was a Christmas tradition my entire childhood.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar
- Melt the shortening and the chocolate in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the sugar and vanilla directly to the pan, stirring with a spoon (be careful not to scratch the pan-I would recommend plastic).
- Scrape into a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the remaining ingredients, excluding the powdered sugar.
- Chill the dough for several hours.
- Form into generously rounded teaspoon balls.
- Roll in powdered sugar.
- Place on a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes at 350 degrees.
These were wonderful! I didn't have any powdered sugar so I just baked them without and they turned out great. I will definitely make these again. Thanks for the great recipe. :)